Saturday 23 June 2012

Back to earth with a bump!

Oh I didn't want to get up this morning..my bed was so warm and cosy and the thought of going down two flights of stairs (we live in a town house) to make a cup of tea was not at all appealing :(  But we had a lot of things to achieve today as tomorrow it's back to work/ministry/vocation/calling - take your pick! after our lovely few days away.  We (hubby aka Nigel) had set ourselves the goal of being out of the house by 8.30am so that we could get across London, whilst the roads were quiet, to The Salvation Army's shop (S.P. & S. or Trade - as we know it ) to purchase new uniforms etc.. We successfully achieved our goal and task - on arrival we were the only customers in the shop so were served straight away - result :))


The other enjoyable aspect of the journey is that we travel across Tower Bridge. This photo was take on our way home.


And past The Tower of London.  We were here a few weeks ago for the 'Ceremony of the Keys', which you can read about here.


We only had one slight delay - due to road works - and we stood still for a while outside this beautiful church.  Well it is now a Day Care Centre for children. I wondered if there was any 'church' presence in the building at all - whether one of the conditions had been that a Chaplain was still available and maybe a service or two but there was nothing outside to indicate that the 'church' had any role in the building anymore.  My mind went to a Salvation Song written by Albert Orsborn in 1957 (he later became General of The Salvation Army). Albert was thinking about the number of derelict churches and the thousands of Londoners living in the area ..and he said

"They were an immense challenge to my spirit; what were we doing to reach and save them?  Did we care enough? I thought of the One who 'wept over Jerusalem'.

The Saviour of men came to seek and to save
The souls who were lost to the good;
His Spirit was moved for the world which he loved
With the boundless compassion of God.
And still there are fields where the labourers are few,
And still there are souls without bread,
And still eyes that weep where the darkness is deep,
And still straying sheep to be led

Except I am moved with compassion,
How dwelleth thy Spirit in me?
In word and in deed
Burning love is my need;
I know I can find this in thee.
(This is the 1st verse and chorus)


Karmen has now forgiven me for going away :)) and has stopped following me around the house. This afternoon she napped on the lounge windowsill enjoying the sun on her fur.


When we moved into our new house last October - one of the rules, which we both agreed upon, was to try and keep the house and garden simple and uncluttered! in the hope that it would be easier to keep clean and tidy.  It is actually, I have discovered, more hard work to try and live minimalistic - things still keep creeping into the house..  The main reason being that both of us are out all day and then I am currently also taking an MA in Mission - so when assignments are due in plus the normal day to day activities - then literally the house and the garden go to pot!!! until such times, as now, I have an opportunity to restore 'order' once again :))

Our new garden is not even a quarter of the size of our previous garden but it is enough for us to maintain.  I decided that I just wanted a small flower bed at the back of the garden that would be easy for me to keep an eye on and weed etc. Nigel dug a corner over for me and I have planted - a salix caprea ', a red hibiscus, a choicya 'Brica' (this was given to me) and for the border primroses and pancies.  I have joined a gardening club, which meets once a month and I am enjoying that plus I also help to make the tea/coffee that way I get a chance to speak to people too.

This morning, whilst at Trade, I bought a book called 'Finding God in other Christians' by Lorraine Cavanagh so now that I have written my blog and Karl and Nigel are watching the football - I shall bring a cup of tea up to my office (on the top floor) and enjoy a read...

No comments:

Post a Comment